Pages

Monday, March 28, 2011

Happy Thoughts

Yesterday as I was catching up on blog reading, I ran across this post, and it struck a chord with me.


Sunday morning dh and I helped with a class on marriage. There was a lot of discussion about being who God made us to be while still respecting and honoring the differences in our spouses. We talked about those negative messages that get going in our heads, and how we can learn to stop them.


As an abuse survivor, I have a plethora of negative messages that bombard me regularly. Some are exact quotes from the abusers, but a lot of them are interpretations I developed over time from the treatment I received at those abusers' hands. For along time I didn't even know about this inner tape that played in my head. Years of therapy have helped me learn to recognize, acknowledge and stop the negative messages. It's been a process, at times slow and agonizing. I've felt really stupid at times for falling back into the same patterns of coping. I've been reminded, repeatedly, that I'm relearning how to see myself as God sees me. That means I'm relearning about who God really is -- not the judge and executioner, but a loving father who only wants what is best for me! As dh reminded me recently, how do I view ds when he messes up? I don't want to hurt him, I just want him to learn and grow to be the person God created him to be. 


So for today, I invite you to think on a few things with me.


1. Galatians 6:4-5 Each one should test their own actions. Then they can take pride in themselves alone, without comparing themselves to someone else, 5 for each one should carry their own load.


2. These three words: Transformation, renewal, transparency.


3. And finally this little song that may seem silly, but is a really good reminder for all of us.



Blessings and Namaste!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.