Pages

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Sunday Communion

Dh and I were asked to give the communion comments at worship this Sunday. Here is what we shared:

It was the annual “What do you want to be when you grow up?” part of first grade. Molly simply stated: “I know exactly what I want to do when I grow up. I want to help everybody who’s anybody or nobody.”

As we prepare our minds for sharing this communion, I would suggest one simple thought. Live your life every day as if looking for and doing the Lord’s will, in word and in deed, is the most challenging, most exciting, most joyful and most rewarding thing you can do. Well, because... it is!

As we all get busy doing very important things, sometimes we are distracted and we miss the opportunities that are right in front of us, to say thank you to our spouse, to hug our children, to call our parents just to say hi, to write a note of encouragement to a friend or co-worker or maybe even help someone that you don’t even know.

A friend of mine diligently prayed every day for days, weeks and months for God to give him guidance on what career path to choose. After many months and a bicycle trip to Colorado, he gave me this insight. It doesn’t matter what path I choose. What matters is, whatever path I am on, that I look for and take advantage of opportunities to serve God every day in my words and my actions. Become more like Christ every day, where ever I am.

Like the good Samaritan, God wants us to be willing to do things that might not be convenient or might even be hard.

“But then a Samaritan traveler came along to the place where the man was lying, and at the sight of him he was touched with pity. He went across to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put him on his own mule, brought him to an inn and did what he could for him. Next day he took out two silver coins and gave them to the inn-keeper with the words, ‘Look after him, will you? I will pay you back whatever more you spend, when I come through here on my return.’”

We will have one prayer for the bread and wine.

Prayer – Lord, as we take this bread, let us be thankful for the cleansing Spirit you have given us. As we take the wine, let us be thankful for our hope of heaven. In gratitude may we be motivated to be a blessing to all of those around us in our words and our actions. Bless us, guide us, help us to be re-made in your image more every day.
It is because of Jesus' sacrifice that we can come to You and offer this prayer, so it is in His Name we ask all these things. Amen

1 comment:

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.