Pages

Friday, December 2, 2011

Red Writing Hood -- I Love My Hair

I love my hair. I know that’s vain and self-centered of me, but I’ve only been able to say that for a few years.

I have naturally wavy/curly, thick, slightly coarse hair. In my younger years it was a dark, rich brown with the occasional copper highlights. Now those highlights are gray.

Back in the day I hated my hair. I was a child of the ‘60’s and ‘70’s. Straight, fine, blond hair was the hair of choice then. Brown was okay, but it had to be long, super straight, and smooth. My hair has never had a smooth day in my life!

Over the years it’s been long, short, bobbed, shagged, cropped – you name it, I’ve done it. One perm – what was I thinking!?! Only natural colors to cover the early onset gray though.

A couple of years ago I began to embrace the bush that is my hair. I also found a stylist who taught me how to handle my hair. I accepted that I’m hair impaired and very lazy. I discovered CatWalk TIGI Curls Rock. My savior! And oddly enough a straightening iron that I only use on those pesky curly bangs.

So now I love my hair. It expresses who I am (most days!) and I worry about it very little now. On a good day it’s pure happiness; on a bad day there’s always a ponytail and/or cap.

Maybe learning to love my hair is the result of learning to love myself. Maybe it’s just getting older and not caring so much. Mostly I think it’s about recognizing I am who I am flaws and all. Not damaged goods, just a little wild and unruly.


link up at Red Writing Hood

4 comments:

  1. It's hard work sometimes accepting ourselves, all of ourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done :D
    I have been having a love /hate relationship with my greys LOL. It is wonderful that you have found peace with your hair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your hair is beautiful! I've always had stick straight brown hair and hated it until about 6 years ago. Oddly, that's when I noticed my first grays and it when I stopped coloring it.

    What a great take on the post, and what a great pic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way that you shared your hair "journey."

    But mostly I love the way you own your hair and love it! What a powerful feeling, and message!

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.