Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

imperfect prose on thursdays


The speaker was talking about his experiences during hurricane Andrew in 1992. I was in a Sunday school class on faith. He said, “I don’t know if any of you have ever been in a situation where you thought your life was in danger . . .” I have no idea what else he said. What I do remember is the windowless room the class was meeting in, and realizing I had to get out of there quickly. 

The random triggers of flashbacks.

As he posed the question, my conscious mind was answering “No” to the question, but my unconscious was pulling the lid off a box I’d sealed years ago. My breathing began to increase and the walls began to close in on me. I carefully laid my Bible aside and quietly got up and slipped out of the room. As soon as I got to the hallway, the pictures in my mind turned into video and it all came back with frightening intensity. The fear was so palpable that I began to sweat from it. The stench on my body clearly reminded me of the terror from the barn all those years ago.

I was stuck, caught between two time periods with no one and nothing to tether me to the present. I pressed my body into the wall, crossing my arms across and around my body to keep from splintering into tiny pieces.

What do you do when you’re falling apart and you are completely alone? I couldn’t move from that spot. I couldn’t speak or cry out for help. What would become of me?

A familiar face appeared in my field of vision. A friend. He asked if I was all right. I shook my head still unable to speak. He patiently asked what he could do. I stuttered for him to get my husband, directing him to Alan’s location in the building. I’m not sure what happened after that. I remember trying to make my body dissolve into the wall – wanting to fade out of existence.

Then Alan was there – holding me, assuring me we’d get through it, and guiding me out of the hallway as the crush of people began dismissing from classes. He led me to a quiet area, waving concerned people away, protecting me from stares and questions.

He settled me in a chair and began to murmur to me and chafe my hands, waiting for me to return to the present – to this period in time. I opened my eyes carefully and glanced at Alan. I had to speak the pictures from my mind, but speaking them aloud would validate the happening. There was no way to put the lid back on the box now.

Slowly and painfully I began to speak truth – the realization that I had faced death and survived, but had sealed it into that box for my own sanity. If the box was opened now, it was only because I was capable of dealing with the horrors stored inside.


link up at imperfect prose



(this post was originally posted at Write on Edge)

14 comments:

  1. Thankfully you're not alone in opening that box. You have your loving husband and a loving Heavenly Father who wants to hold you as you deal with your past pain. Thanks for being open with us about this experience. I hope it helps you on your path toward healing, Melanie! I'll be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words. And yes, God provided me with an amazing husband.

      Delete
  2. oh wow melanie... you wrote this so well. i could feel your anxiety... i praise God for such a compassionate and understanding husband who can lead you into peace and healing. bless you. e.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily, thank you so much for your continued support. Telling is the most important step in healing, but having compassionate witnesses to respond with such support is simply amazing.

      Delete
  3. This is very well written. I'm glad you had someone to be there with you when the box was open. I felt nervous for you reading this, and relieved when your husband showed up. He really is modeling Christ in this story isn't he?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is indeed modeling Christ! He is not perfect, but he has been amazingly supportive of the healing process, never doubting a word. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. My posts are often hard to read, but I need to write them and hear from people as part of my healing. Blessings!

      Delete
  4. i am glad he was there for you in that moment...and i am glad the box was opened as nothing is random and if now it that time i pray you strength to face it...and for those to come along side to walk it with you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God is doing amazing things! Healing is coming from the most unexpected places, i.e., blogs! Thank you for your support. This group is quite amazing : )

      Delete
  5. I'm the husband and let me first say thank you for your kinds words and thanks to Melanie for doing the gut wrenching work so we could have a better relationship, thanks to God for giving me strength on those days I needed it most and just to say... though I do some things well, on the things I mess up, I do with equal fevor...lol. Love you Mellie. : >

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a gift for pulling us in with you. I'm so sorry for all the pain you've suffered, but I'm glad you're doing what you can to use it for good. I know in my heart: there are many people who will benefit from hearing your story. May God continue to bless and keep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandee, Thank you so much! The thing that keeps me writing is the healing I am feeling in sharing, and the hope that somewhere someone else will benefit from my story. Blessings!

      Delete
  7. wow. what an experience to live through. you put your very heart in your hands and in your words. thank you for sharing. keep doing so. let us love you through these times as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara, thank you for the encouragement to keep writing. It is very difficult to know if sharing in such a public forum is what God had in mind. People like you and groups like this one have been so helpful in keeping me going. Blessings!
      (and I will happily take your love!)

      Delete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.