Pages

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Simple Woman's Daybook



FOR TODAY . . . May 8, 2012

Outside my window . . . it is cooler and overcast. We've been getting some much needed rain lately.


I am thinking . . . about my sweet little dog Etta. We had to put her down yesterday. A very sad and difficult day for all of us. She was 12 1/2 years old and went down very quickly after being diagnosed with lymphoma. The other two dogs are confused, especially Squeaker, who was Etta's sister.


I am thankful . . . for my family and being able to grieve together for our loss. We cried and hugged and laughed. We shared stories and photos and cried some more. Animals are such wonderful gifts!


In the kitchen . . . not much with all the trauma of Etta's final days, and today dh and I are off on another business trip.


I am wearing . . . a giant black t-shirt with the logo from The Raven movie on it. I got it in my goody bag at the SAC Walk in Their Shoes 5K.


I am creating . . . a new blanket for a 9 year old little girl. 

I am going . . . back to Knoxville today. Dh has had several business trips there in the past few weeks, and I am his designated chauffeur. 


I am wondering . . . about the hardship we place on our children by trying to shield them from pain. I understand the desire, but as I watched my kids deal with the grief and loss yesterday, I was reminded again, that grieving is a part of life. Each loss is an opportunity for growth, self-awareness, and compassion.


I am reading . . . (actually re-reading) Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen. I want to read her latest, The Girl Who Chased the Moon, but it was checked out.


I am looking forward to . . . some normalcy, but I'm not sure why I do that when normal rarely comes around here anymore. 


I am hearing . . . my two dogs snoozing after their breakfast. A friend of mine reminded me yesterday that "Three to two is a big hole." She is right.
 
Around the house . . . we are still making order out of chaos in the bonus room. I seem to be getting the others on board a little more which helps a lot!


I am pondering . . . a new method of dealing with the pain and depression from abuse. Reminding myself when I feel badly that it's not my fault. It is the abusers' fault. It sounds easy -- but it's not.


One of my favorite things . . . time spent with my bff, Linda. We have been spending more time together lately, and it has been quite lovely.


A few plans for the rest of the week . . . this trip to Knoxville today and home tomorrow. The last Bible study class of the year on Thursday. Beyond that, who knows what the rest of the week and weekend may bring.


Here is a picture for thought I am sharing . . . 
Sweet Etta May (1999-2012)

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your dear Etta. Give yourself time to grieve, and be extra kind to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear of your loss and praying for you. Recovering from abuse is a process but when you can move on, they no longer have power.

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.