Pages

Monday, June 18, 2012

in gratitude



This weekend I found myself realizing over and over again how  grateful I am for my husband. I know I talk about him a lot here. Some of you may get tired of hearing how amazing he has been in helping me with my recovery from abuse. 
Let me be clear, he is no saint. He is irritating at times. We argue (although not like we used to). He leaves stuff lying around, gets annoyed when his laundry's not ready, and has been known to be in a bad mood on occasion. 
But, and this is huge, he has carried so much of my burden for me. Not only has he dealt with his own issues and struggles in coming to grips with the fact that his wife was abused, but he has consistently done for me all manner of great and small things -- from putting up with fairies all over the house, and stuffed animals, to holding me as my body processed the pain of abuse even though I had wakened him from a sound sleep. He has turned on lights (literally and figuratively) when I couldn't. He came home from work in the middle of the morning once because I couldn't find a quilt I needed. He has listened and listened to the stories from my childhood. He's researched. He's talked to my parents trying to get them to "see" what I need from them. He is my compassionate witness.
Yesterday was Father's Day. I wanted to make it special for him, because he is so deserving, but I was still processing some recent conversations and comments. When we got home from worship. I talked with and told him I needed to get away from everything for awhile and do some writing. He smiled at me and said, "Go." That's my husband. My needs supersede his so often and he is generous about it.



Care to share a single gratitude that's most present in your heart this morning? If you feel inspired, join along in the comments here today....

inspired by SouleMama

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a very special lady who is working thru her painful issues.. God knew you would need a loving, kind, compassionate soulmate to help you in your journey and He blessed you with Alan. I would love to meet him someday. Michele B.

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.