Pages

Monday, June 25, 2012

Made by You Monday -- Roasted Veggies and Cheesy Grits


Summer is in full swing, which means lots of fresh veggies from the farmer's market.
The other night I decided it was time to cull through some of those veggies and use the ones that might be getting a little sketchy. I decided to roast a big pan of them and make a big pot of cheesy grits. It was quite lovely.
Here's what I did:
First, I chopped a bunch of veggies (Vidalia onion, broccoli, squash, zucchini, Campari tomatoes, garlic) and tossed it all with a liberal dose of olive oil, coarse ground black pepper, and garlic salt. I roasted it at 400* for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, I heated 2 cups organic chicken broth, 2 cups cool water, and 1 cup fresh milled grits in a pot on the stove. I brought it to a boil and then turned it down to medium low. I let them cook, stirring them each time I wandered by the stove. 
While all that was cooking, I grated the remaining chunks of artisan cheese (I think it was Paprika Jack). Once the grits were close to being done (about 20 minutes, I think) I stirred in the cheese to melt.

I let everything cook another 10 minutes or so and served it up in bowls
with a side of fresh sliced strawberries.
A delightful summer supper.

link up at Skip to My Lou


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.