Pages

Friday, June 22, 2012

Risk

I took a risk years ago when I first told my parents about the abuse I had suffered as a child and the rape in college. I took a risk in presuming that they would love me the way I love my kids. I took a risk that it would hurt them so badly to see me hurt.
It didn't play out that way. They didn't react in love and support. They didn't pound me into the ground either, but it wasn't good or positive or helpful.
I'm taking a new risk. I'm standing my ground. I'm continuing to do what I believe God wants me to do. I'm trusting that the fact that I feel calmer and more peaceful is God's way of letting me know it's okay.
Later I may take the risk of letting my parents back in to my life on a daily basis. I may agree to talk with them again about what happened, how they failed me, how it's impacted my adult life, and what I want going forward.
Right now I'm all "risked" out. 
I'm looking toward a risk free summer and I'm liking the view.



link up at Five Minute Friday



3 comments:

  1. You and I are side-by-side at Lisa-Jo's today, and I wanted to drop in and say hi. Your post is painful to read, but it sounds like you're taking the calm and peaceful path, and you're being true to yourself and your God. Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for what you have been forced to endure. I know that feel of pain from unaccepting parents. It always leaves a little sting. Praying God gives you wisdom to deal with them

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart is breaking as I read this post. For you, for others close to me who have been through the same -or at least very similar- things, and for those I do not know who have experienced similar horrors. I am thankful that you can rely on a God who deeply cares and grieves over the pain you suffered, a God who stayed with you so you wouldn't be alone, a God who has the power to heal and who doesn't waste a single hurt or tear, and a God who will hold those accountable that hurt His children so that they don't have to be sentenced to being the eternal jailers --a God who wants you to be free indeed! I hope your risk free summer is rewarding, and that you are able to enjoy the view.

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.