Pages

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Day 27 of 31

This weekend dh and I are vacationing with his family at a state park. We've been doing this trip off and on for nearly 20 years. 

Recently my father-in-law was diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis, so this might the last trip he'll be able to make to the mountains. 

We're all going again (except for dd who has to work). I don't know how much walking he'll be up to or how much rain we may get while we're there. But one thing is for sure, I'll be spending time in the kitchen. I'm the family cook, which is fine with me most of the time. Tomorrow night I'll make a big pot of spaghetti, a tossed salad, and what we refer to as "Sandra bread" (named after the friend who introduced us to it). We may have brownies and ice cream for dessert or maybe apple cobbler. I haven't decided yet.

Sunday morning will be pancakes and bacon, and maybe some eggs if we have a special request or two. 

We'll eat and walk. The littles will play on the playground, weather allowing. We might play cards or Rummikub. I'll undoubtedly crochet and read, and everyone will talk.

It's odd imagining this might be our last trip like this, but the reality is any year could have been our last, we just didn't think about it that way. 

We don't have that many traditions in our family. I always wanted to have traditions, but it hasn't worked out that way (yet), but this trip is a nice reminder of the growth and changes in our family and extended family. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.