Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Next Big Thing

Welcome to the Next Big Thing! What is a blog hop? It’s a virtual event that helps readers discover new authors. The first author tags five others whose work he or she admires, who each tag five more, who each tag five more, and so on. This particular event has been so widespread, covering so many genres and talented authors, that it was impossible to say no to participating.

Let me start by saying I was stunned when my blog showed up on Mark My Word. I have known Mark since college, but somehow Facebook really connected us. Maybe it's writing and storytelling that really brought us together, and it just took the internet to provide the outlet. So thank you, Mark!

For those of you who may be new to my blog, let me tell you a little about myself. I am a survivor of childhood sexual abuse (CSA) and I write a lot about the healing process, but that's not all. I am a wife to an amazing guy (27 years and counting), a mom to 2 grown kids (Claire 22 and Sam 19), a reluctant crafter (beading, crocheting, sewing, quilting), and a somewhat snobbish foodie (I love to cook, but I have my own little quirks and extreme preferences!).


In this particular hop, the authors I’ve chosen and I will each answer, on our respective blogs, the same 10 (predetermined) questions ranging from our current works in progress to our writing processes and beyond. I hope you’ll enjoy learning about our work. Please feel free to share comments and questions.

Now, here is my Next Big Thing!


1) What is the title of your book(s)?
Well this is an easy one. I have no books. My husband is itching for me to write my memoir, but it's actually harder than you might think. I like to talk and write, but I tend to ramble. I did write a piece about what my book might look like and you can read that here.

2) Where did the idea for the book come from?
When I first started addressing my past, my therapist told me there would be a great book in it someday . . . and that I should dedicate it to him! He was just that kind of guy. I want to tell my story, and have in bits in pieces, to help me heal from the past. Unfortunately, that still feels pretty selfish and petty to me. I want to get to the place that writing it all out will be to help someone else. Of course, I wouldn't mind a hugely successful book that made me fabulously rich!

3) What genre does your book come under?
Memoir, self-help, survival?

4) Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie?
Yikes! I don't really know as there would have to be different actresses portraying me at different ages. Probably Kathy Bates would be good to play me now (although she is older than I am!) I prefer not to think about actors/actresses to play the abusers, since it might make it difficult for me to continue to enjoy their work.

5) What is a one sentence synopsis for your book?
This is not just the story of abuse, but the story of one woman’s move from victim to survivor to compassionate witness.

6) Is your book self published, published by an independent publisher, or represented by an agency?
Well, since I haven't written the book yet, it's a little hard to answer this one.

7) How long did it take for you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
Twelve years and counting. That's how long I've been thinking about it. I have a file cabinet drawer full of handwritten journals, and heaven only knows how many files on my computer, not to mention 3+ years of blog entries to be culled through as well.

8) What other books in your genre would you compare you story?
Denial: A Memoir of Terror by Jessica Stern, and I've been told, Haven Kimmel's works would be similar. I haven't read Kimmel's books as too many have encouraged me not to for my own sanity!

9) What or who inspired you to write this book?
Obviously, my first therapist, but my husband is the real driving force behind it. I've had other friends mention that I should, and some of my blog readers as well. Memoir is sticky, though, and especially so when it's riddled with bad people doing bad things, and no evidence to back it up. It's just my story, the way I remember it.

10) What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
Recovery and healing are processes, so the story is always changing. Sometimes for good, sometimes there's a downhill phase. I try to write through all of it. Life isn't a straight line whether you've been traumatized or not, and real life continues as it's usual pace even while you're trying to find lost parts of yourself.

Below you will find authors/bloggers who will be joining me on my blog (I hope!) next Wednesday, January 30, 2013. These are people that are real. They've done their homework and they write from the heart, sometimes funny, sometimes serious. Please be sure to bookmark and add them to your calendars for updates on works in progress and new releases! Happy Writing and Reading!





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.