Pages

Monday, January 14, 2013

Unplanned Pound Cake

A change in plans found me needing to provide a dessert for a Sunday afternoon gathering. I'd already been to the store for Saturday, and really didn't want to go back. So I did a little internet surfing and found this wonderful Paula Deen pound cake recipe. The only change I made was using a stick of unsalted butter in place of the vegetable shortening. I baked it in my standard bunt cake pan and it baked right out of the pan and all over my oven (I'm cleaning my oven today!), so you might want to put some of it in a loaf pan, or maybe I just beat it too much. Either way, it was tasty! The recipe says it serves 16-20, and I served it to a group of 12 and have 2 slices left (we did have 3 teenage boys there!).


1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, plus more for pan
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
3 cups sugar
5 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

With a mixer, cream butter and shortening together. Add sugar, a little at a time. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Stir dry ingredients together in a bowl and add to mixer alternately with milk, starting with the flour and ending with the flour. Mix in vanilla. Pour into a greased and floured tube pan and bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.



Happy Eating!

linking up at Made by You Monday

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.