Pages

Monday, February 4, 2013

Beef and Bean Taco Soup

Friday morning was clean out the pantry, fridge, and freezer day. That always makes me realize how much food I have in the house, even though I don't think I have much at all. For some reason I decided to put beans on to soak. I don't usually cook on Fridays since it's date night, but I figured a big pot of soup wouldn't go to waste over the weekend. Little did I know that a friend of Alan's was in need of dinner that night. God does work in mysterious ways!

Anyway I created a new recipe based on what was in the pantry, fridge, and freezer. I'm pretty happy with it, so I'm sharing it here. The picture is really just the leftovers because I didn't get a shot before sharing the love.

2 cups beans, soaked and drained (I use a blend that I make and just keep on hand)
1 pound ground chuck, browned and drained
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon each:
salt
cumin
garlic powder
oregano
black pepper to taste
1/2 cup water
4 cups chicken broth (or beef broth)
1 can diced tomatoes (15 oz.)
1/2 cup taco sauce
1/2 cup refried beans
1/2 large onion, chopped and sauteed in olive oil until translucent
1 Tablespoon chili powder
pepper to taste
1/2 - 1 teaspoon salt

Add spices and water to browned ground chuck. Let cook for 5 minutes. Meanwhile saute onions. Add all ingredients except 1/2-1 tsp. salt to slow cooker. Set cooker to high and cook for 5- 6 hours. Check beans for tenderness. Taste and add salt and pepper. Serve with tortilla chips, shredded cheese, and sour cream. Serves 6-8.

Happy eating!
linking up with Skip to My Lou

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.