Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

Wonder

The last book you read . . . 

Well this comes at a fortunate time.

The last book I read was a young adult novel by R. J. Palacio called Wonder. A friend from college had posted the book on her Goodreads account, and piqued my curiosity. I checked with my local library, and the Kindle edition was available. I could not put my Kindle down once I started the book! And now I find myself missing the characters, as if they were old friends. To me that is the mark of a really fine book.

Here is the blurb from Goodreads:

I won't describe what I look like. Whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse.
August (Auggie) Pullman was born with a facial deformity that prevented him from going to a mainstream school—until now. He's about to start 5th grade at Beecher Prep, and if you've ever been the new kid then you know how hard that can be. The thing is Auggie's just an ordinary kid, with an extraordinary face. But can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, despite appearances?

R. J. Palacio has written a spare, warm, uplifting story that will have readers laughing one minute and wiping away tears the next. With wonderfully realistic family interactions (flawed, but loving), lively school scenes, and short chapters, Wonder is accessible to readers of all levels.

So even if you're way past "young-adult" and you haven't picked up a book since you graduated, I really encourage you to give this one a try. Or as my friend said, "Read this now!"

linking up with 31 day blog challenge


2 comments:

  1. This looks really interesting. I need to pick it up! Although, emotional stuff is definitely harder for me to handle now. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your thoughts on a really good book. I know that when I spend time wondering whatever happened to the characters long after I have finished reading the book, it was a book worth the effort. This book sounds like one I should have my grandkids read. Especially the ones in middle school!

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.