Pages

Monday, April 15, 2013

How to Love Yourself Even When You Aren't Lovable

I don't do well with lack of sleep. I know some people can just power through it, or caffeinate themselves through it. Not me. I hit the wall and get cranky, moody, and weepy. My eyes begin to burn, and my throat gets sore and my voice gets raspy. I become incredibly paranoid.

That's what happened this past weekend. And unfortunately I took a lot of it out on my husband. The one I wrote about last week. What a difference a few days, and a lack of sleep can make!

There's a natural inclination in my being to see everything as black and white -- people are good or bad -- no middle ground. That's a harsh judgment on others, and perhaps, an even harsher judgment on myself. 

So yesterday I stepped back from the past few days and acknowledged I had behaved in a less than loving way. I accepted that sometimes (especially when sleep deprived) my husband and I won't necessarily see everything exactly the same way -- but that doesn't make either of us "bad people". 

I decided to apologize to him. To take ownership of my mistakes, without deeming myself an utter failure, undeserving of love. I gave myself the opportunity to make mistakes, and bounce back from them.

Another step toward learning to love myself as God loves me.

linking up with a love dare


2 comments:

  1. I love this!

    "To take ownership of my mistakes, without deeming myself an utter failure, undeserving of love. I gave myself the opportunity to make mistakes, and bounce back from them." - So important to remember!

    Self-condemnation is an enemy to our faith.

    Wishing you a blessed and wonderful week!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for apologizing which can be very difficult in itself in allowing those closest to us to see how vulnerable we can be to them.

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.