Pages

Thursday, May 2, 2013

imperfect prose on thursdays: I Believe . . .


(My husband found this among his dad's writings, and I had the honor of reading it at his funeral. Byron was a physicist and professor of real estate and finance. I never knew much about his personal beliefs, but I'm happy to know he talked with God.)

I BELIEVE . . . 

I don’t know much, but I do believe God made heaven and earth, including you and me, and the rocks and mountains and oceans, and plants and animals and our Earth, Sun and Solar System, and the one hundred billion suns in the Milky Way galaxy and the one hundred billion galaxies in the known universe, and the known and unknown elements and forces  including electro-magnetism, strong and weak forces, gravity and something called  “Dark Energy” that is forcing the universe to continue to expand in violation  of Einstein’s “Law of Relativity”, and the very strange Quantum World of energy bundles  we call Electrons , Up Quarks and Down Quarks (protons and neutrons),  Gluons , and  Matter and Anti-Matter.

It is extremely important to believe in something. 

Man is God’s only creature that intentionally destroys his environment with the intent of doing less, and making life easier by indulging in excess consumption and glorifying in personal power. People of faith respect God’s work and take s care of themselves and their environment.

Prayer is fundamental!  Talking with God is the most important thing a person can do.   It is a direct communication without the noise and influences of other people.
I ask God for guidance and help with those things beyond my control and promise to do my best to solve the problems I can control.   
I believe someday I will be Reborn into an afterlife called Heaven . . . or just maybe it’s another Universe of God right under our noses . . . and will be with my one and only lovely Lisa! (his wife who died 24 years ago)  

That’s what I believe, and why I talk with God.  

linking up with imperfect prose on thursdays



2 comments:

  1. Dear Melanie
    This is so wonderful! Oh, your daddy was a true believer. He walked with God like Enoch!! But I still want to pay my respects for your loss. I am glad that it is only for a while until you all will be reunited again on the new earth with Jesus.
    Much love from Emily's.
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this. Thank you for sharing. The way he describes the universe is both childlike and awestruck...just as it should be.
    And his reasons for talking to God are about the best I've heard in a long time.

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.