Pages

Saturday, June 1, 2013

Summer Reading Throwback

So yesterday I dropped off some books at the local used bookstore. It's a large order, so they won't have my credit available for at least a couple of weeks. Bummer! Part of the fun of dropping books off is then spending the store credit.

I checked my wallet and saw that I still had a credit, but it was only $2.22. Used books are cheap, but I wasn't going to get much for that . . . or so I thought.

I went to the general fiction paperback section and just starting perusing. Jackpot. Books I'd read in high school and college and years ago in general were cropping up for 5 and 10 and 15 cents a piece! So I started counting and running through the alphabet by authors. And this is what I came up with --

Four of them I'd read before, but that makes for relaxed reading. Good poolside material.

The other 4 are titles I've wanted to read or by Anne Rivers Siddon that I haven't read.

The other good thing about these is they are cheapy paperbacks (really cheap in this scenario) and if they get ruined at the pool, no biggie.

So in no specific order, here you go:

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb -- I remember when this came out, and I just never got around to it. At a nickel it seemed like a safe bet.

The Far Pavillions by M. M. Kaye -- I read this when it first came out and I was in high school. I had a real thing for British India at the time. It will be interesting to see if I can make it through 1200 pages a second time.

Outer Banks by Anne Rivers Siddons -- This was my first encounter with Siddons. I'm a southerner, so I just relate to her. I remember loving this book when I read it. I was married with one kid and it was probably great escape lit at that point.

Looking for Mr. Goodbar by Judith Rossner -- I read this when it came out in paperback. Not sure how I ran across it, but I still remember a friend in high school being horrified that I was reading it. Murder/sex/bad language, that's all I remember.

Evergreen by Belva Plain -- another high school rerun. I think I found this one when shelving in the library one day. An early foray into historical fiction.

Islands by Anne Rivers Siddons -- I don't think I've read this, but like I said I usually like her work. 

Fox's Earth by Anne Rivers Siddons -- see above. It was .15 so I can't really complain (although that did put it on the high end!)

The House of Spirits by Isabel Allende -- Another one I remember thinking I should read, but never got to it. I haven't read much Latin American fiction. I loved Like Water for Chocolate, so I'm hoping to like this as well.

So there you have it my .70 summer reading list. I don't know if I'll get through all of them. I don't know if I'll want to get through them all, but it's got potential for fun.

Happy reading everyone!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.