. . . wait! Is summer over!?!?
Oh that's right it is for many kids and parents who live in the south. Rumor has it our northern and western friends got the memo about proper school schedules -- School begins the day after Labor Day and ends before Memorial Day -- really it's not that hard, people.
Anyway summer's not over for me yet, since my daughter's a college graduate and my son is in college (Not my circus. Not my monkeys, anymore!)
But I’ll be nice and play along anyway.
1. Swimming at the outdoor pool. I enjoy swimming for exercise, with this proviso, only if I get the reward of lounging in the sun reading my book afterwards. Hence, indoor pools are not my faves.
2. When in doubt, grilled hotdogs are a perfectly acceptable dinner. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for boiled or microwaved (at least not in my house).
3. Flipflops. I really need there to be a winter version of this shoe. Clogs are a pretty good substitute, but they require socks, and remembering to put on socks AND shoes is an awful lot of responsibility.
4. Walking out the door with only my purse. I know, I know, I shouldn’t complain about having to put on a coat. After all I don’t have to wrangle children who seem to function like octopi in this arena. Still it is nice to just grab the bag (and slip on the flipflops) as I head to the car.
5. Fresh tomatoes. There is simply nothing as wonderful as a real tomato. Grown in the open air, on a vine until it is ripe. A fresh tomato is the greatest of summer’s gifts!
6. Late sunsets. I LOVE having the sun with me until 8:00 at night. I like evening walks, and the lovely evening light that continues in the through windows after dinner. I like getting sleepy even though it’s still light outside and know that it’s okay. I really don’t want to go back to 4:30 sunsets.
So there they are. The 6 things I’ll miss about summer. The good news from my house is that I’ve still got several more weeks of summer to enjoy (as God intended!).
(We’re heading out for summer vacation on Saturday, so if it’s quiet here for a bit don’t panic. I’ll be back!)
linking up with Writer’s Workshop