Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2016

What I Did Today

Every day is different lately. Today was no exception.

I got up and followed my somewhat usual routine which now includes trying to empty one more box. I chatted with my son and my daughter. I made the bed, showered, dressed, and ate breakfast. 

The afternoon was a completely new and different experience. Several weeks ago a friend told me she had applied to work the election polls. I was intrigued because I've considered it myself in the past. I called the election commission and got signed up to work. We went in together to turn in paper applications. I apparently volunteered both of us to help with change of address on election day. I didn't think it would be a big deal. My friend wasn't as enthusiastic as I was.

So today I went to my training class to learn how to deal with changing addressed for voters and some other unusual circumstances that sometimes come up. It's not rocket science, but it is a fair amount of detail and paperwork. 

What interested me the most was how much I enjoyed listening to the instructors talk about their jobs and the significance of the election process. I take my vote fairly seriously as a rule, but I also admit I've missed some opportunities over the years to get out and vote. Today reminded me how important it is to part of the process. No, one vote probably won't change the final outcome, but it's important to remember how many people don't have the opportunity. 

Now I'm officially trained in how to change addresses for registered and non-registered voters, and on November 8th I'll work from 6 AM to 8 PM helping other people get out and vote. It will be a very long day, but when all is said and done I will have helped a lot of people (I hope) take advantage of the opportunity to share in the future of this country . . . and that's pretty cool in my book.

Blessings.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.