Pages

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

The Simple Woman's Daybook

FOR TODAY . . . May 5, 2015

Outside my window . . . it's 66 degrees with a clear, pale blue sky. We're heading up to the 80s later in the day. More time with the roof down on the car :)

I am thinking . . . about being 53 and just now getting to know myself.

I am thankful . . . for all the people who have helped me over the past several years as I have worked through abuse issues. The damage never goes away, but the day to day effects can be lessened and controlled when they are examined.

In the kitchen . . . last night was a sandwich bar with chips and dip, and kale slaw. Ds has been on a dessert kick (I think it's exam stress) and requested a Cherry Dump Cake. So I obliged.

I am creating . . . a more peaceful and authentic interior life.

I am going . . . to therapy and then back home for some creativity.

I am wondering . . . about how quickly our society is willing to replace people and things. While there is often pain and suffering in working through the tough spots, so much beauty can be redeemed by staying the course.

I am reading . . . well re-reading City of Shadows by Ariana Franklin. 
This is my third time. I'm not sure what it is about this story and the characters, but I keep coming back to it. Also it's easier to re-read something for relaxation when I'm stressed. For morning contemplation I am continuing with A Prayer Journal by Flannery O'Connor, 
Practicing the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence, 
and have added The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron.

I am looking forward to . . . my lake walk tomorrow with dh. We try each Wednesday to walk at Radnor Lake. It's about a 3 mile trail around the lake. We see so many animals and plants, and dh is a fine photographer. It's also a good time to talk without interruptions.

I am hearing . . . my husband listening to music videos and chatting with me. This is unusual as he is typically long gone by now.

Around the house . . . working on spring cleaning. One room each week. Yesterday was the master bedroom. Couldn't have done it without my bestie, LBB. She is focused, which I am not right now.

I am praying . . . for my bestie's dad who had an episode yesterday. For KFH's mom who is declining. For Nepal. And for many others who are struggling with various issues.

One of my favorite things . . . is having things neat and orderly (I am a librarian after all!), but I live with clutter-bug men, so I've learned to be happy with areas of order, because the whole house never arrives.

A few plans for the rest of the week . . . tea tomorrow with my mother and daughter. Spiritual direction on Thursday. Working on some plans another bestie on Friday. Also the contractor is starting my deck tomorrow! Happy dance. 

Here's a picture for thought I am sharing . . .
flowers from Trader Joe's



linking up with The Simple Woman

6 comments:

  1. I need to get back on the Spring cleaning bandwagon. I was doing really well, but hit the "I'm lazy (aka had to binge watch a show)" mood, so now the house has seemed to clutter back up... sigh!

    Gorgeous flowers!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cherry dump cake... sounds like perfect exam-stress food!!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many good ones, any number of which could start a sweet conversation... but being 53 and just starting to get to know yourself is best of all. Good for you! Lead the charge, Sister!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! A new deck sounds lovely! We have a deck, and I need to spend some time making it a lovely space (we inherited it along with the house, and it's not a thing of beauty--but I see potential!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your observation about just getting to know yourself and healing. And I love that your Daybook shows how much self care and soul care you are practicing. It inspires me to do the same.

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.