Pages

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Dinner and a Show

It's been a rough week. There's just no two ways about it. Memories and memory pain. Dd isn't doing so well, however they did change her meds some. Female troubles; free floating anxiety; guilt; and seeing too much of the extended family. I wanted a fun week. A week where I felt capable and in control. Instead I got the aforementioned list.

Prior to the start of the week from hell, I had issued a dinner invitation to an old friend. You know it would be nice to catch up some more following the hs reunion. I cancelled it with the promise to reschedule. His best date was Friday night. Friday night is date night. What to do? I asked my husband. Maybe we should wait a week and reschedule. Maybe I'd be feeling better. Maybe I could channel Martha Stewart if I weren't dealing with all the yuck. Dh said just have them come over on Friday. We'll change date night. Dinner was set for 6 pm.

Most of you know I LOVE to cook, but I have perfectionist issues (just add 'em to the list!). This particular friend I've known since we were 7. He's had his share of bumps and issues along the road as well. I knew he'd enjoy the food and wouldn't grade the cleaning. I told myself I'd cook what I wanted, how I wanted. I'd set the table how I wanted. I didn't clean the house, because what I wanted to do was cook. So I cooked. And you know what? It was great! The meal was terrific, if I do say so myself. Even my son commented on it! The house wasn't perfect, but we all enjoyed the food, the conversation and my ds's ukulele performance.

So a big thanks to K & K for reminding me why I like to "entertain". And a big thanks to dh for being the relaxed, laid back kind of guy he is. And finally to my ds for humor, conversation and great ukulele playing.

Oh, and if you want to know more about the menu and recipes check out my other blog: mellieskitchen.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. As the aforementioned old friend, I just want to add my two cents worth . . .It was a delightfully entertaining evening spent with probably the most resilient and courageous friend with whom God has blessed me. The dinner was excellent . . .had seconds and then took the leftovers home. Unclean house? Didn't even notice that!! Looked pretty darn good to me.

    To anyone who reads this . . .take the time to reconnect with friends and loved ones from your youth. They are a gift not to be taken lightly.

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.