Monday, December 8, 2014

December 8th, How Did That Happen!?!

It's the 2nd Monday of December and I have no idea what happened to the first week of December!

Seriously, I had big plans for organization and calm during this month. Clearly that was not meant to be, at least last week.

Rewind to the day after Thanksgiving. Claire and I were to drive home from visiting relatives in Georgia, while Alan and Sam drove over to Chattanooga to do some climbing. Unfortunately Claire awoke early with all manner of stomach issues. We drove for about an hour, but had to stop 3 times for her to throw up, so I went in search of an ER. We were blessed to wind up at Hamilton Medical Center in Dalton, GA. Fabulous facility and people! After 6 hours of testing and meds, we were finally able to head home (with instructions to visit Claire's doctor ASAP). What should have been a 4 hour trip turned into an 11 hour struggle. 

So that was Friday. On Saturday I did as little as possible trying to recoup from Friday, but by that evening Alan was sick. Not as bad as Claire had been, but still not good. Saturday night and Sunday were spent helping him out and praying fervently that I would not come down with the same thing!

On Monday morning, Alan and I drove to Dyersburg, TN for a business meeting. When we left Nashville it was 57 degrees. By the time we got to Dyersburg it was 37 degrees and sleeting! I huddled in the public library for a bit and then got lunch at a local coffee shop, Java Cafe, where I tried their Dirty Snowman (white chocolate and caramel latte). Yummy!

By 2:00 we were back on the road home, but Alan still wasn't feeling 100%. Thankfully we made it back home with no major incidents, and snuggled in our warm home for the rest of the evening.

Tuesday was therapy and the chiropractor, and then I ran a few errands. Claire called and needed help at her apartment so I went over and helped her. Then I did the week's grocery shopping and headed home to cook dinner and move everything out of the bonus room for the cleaners who were coming Wednesday morning to steam clean the tile.

Wednesday morning I ran around like a crazy person trying to get the rest of the things from the bonus room and vacuum the floor before they got here to clean. My floors look great! Then I took Claire to a doctor's appointment and to pick up a few groceries. Home again to cook dinner.

Thursday was back to the chiropractor and then a trip with Claire to see the gastroenterologist. She gets to have more testing done this week, and I will continue my new career as a chauffeur. After her appointment we did a bit of shopping at Target. When I got home Alan and I helped one of his graduate student friends by pretending to be a couple in counseling so she could videotape all of us and critique herself for a class. Whew!

Friday was finally the day at home to put things back together. A quick trip to the chiropractor and then a day puttering at home. Hallelujah! Until Alan came home sick with a respiratory infection (hopefully not the flu!). We settled for a quiet night at home instead of date night.

Saturday was Fun Girls' Christmas Brunch and Shopping, which was fabulous! But I got home late in the day to find Alan running a fever of 101.9! More caregiving. And we rolled back again to another Sunday spent at home caring for him. 

Alan's at work currently picking up a few things and then coming home to rest and work here. Sam got all the Christmas boxes out for me last night in between studying for exams. We had pizza and I made cookies for them last night. 

In a bit my #1 bestie is coming over to help me get some decorating done, because Alan and I have another business trip on Thursday, which means leaving again on Wednesday, and we are scheduled for a little R&R in Gatlinburg, TN over the weekend. Hope he's all better by then!

So maybe that's why I got next to nothing written last week! Here's to a calmer week filled with health, love, and focus on Advent.

Blessings to all!


  1. Hoping this week is a little bit quieter for all of you!

  2. Hope everyone is feeling better and that this week is much quieter for you.

  3. Wow! It sounds like a crazy week. It's amazing just how crazy and filled with stuff each day can be. Make sure you take a little time for yourself now and then! (The dirty snowman latter sounds wonderful--I'll have to create one at home ;) ).

  4. Sounds like you have a lot on your plate. Hope things settle down soon.

  5. WOW!! What a week!! My busy week was Wed. - Sat. of Thanksgiving week; and my down time was Sun. - Tue. Then Wed. took hubby for lab work and later took a friend for her radiation treatment; Thur. and Fri. were "play" days - I spent a few hours with friends scrapbooking, making Christmas cards and just hanging out! Sat. spent at home with hubby; Sun. was church and the family gathered, this week is another busy one. Still trying to finish MY writing as well...


Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.