Pages

Friday, February 25, 2011

Feel Good Friday -- February 25, 2011


So it's Feel Good Friday, but The Girl Next Door Grows Up ISN'T hosting. Bizarre! However a big thank you to lia sophia tomgirl for filling in, because Friday just wouldn't be complete without FGF.

I attend a ladies' Bible study group on Thursday mornings. I've been with this particular group for several years now (I think). It is unusual because I went into this group all by myself. I didn't know ANYONE in it when I started! Those of you know me (or read me regularly) know how out of the ordinary that is in and of itself. It took me a while to feel comfortable and be able to speak my mind. At first I just sat and listened. Then I got to where I'd answer questions or read a scripture. Then I reached the point where I shared the story of my abuse with them. They've helped me deal with some tough family issues. They have become my friends and supporters.

Yesterday we reached a new level. I swear I wasn't on drugs. I swear I hadn't been drinking, but apparently I've reached the point where I'll say pretty much anything to these ladies. We got into a discussion about various religious groups and denominations. I held nothing back.

Now let's be clear here. It's not in my nature to be deliberately cruel or snarky or critical about others, but sometimes it does help to just say what you feel and have the response from others be understanding instead of judgmental. That's what happened yesterday. 

I feel even closer to those ladies now. I wanted to say that I felt like they actually liked me and didn't just put up with me, but I hesitated to word it that way because I didn't want to assume anything. One of those dear sweet ladies interrupted me and said it for me. Bless her heart! She probably has no idea what that did for me!

So my FGF is about finding out I'm genuinely liked for who I really am -- abuse, sarcasm, insecurities and all.

For more Feel Good Friday posts, swing on over to lia sophia tomgirl. Link up and leave a comment : )

4 comments:

  1. yay! great feel good moment, huh! i agree, the week is not complete until i do fgf! thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it Melanie! What an inspiring post. I used to be super timid around people and then slowly I just changed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post. I love FGF and sometimes I feel like you guys are just putting up with me but I feel that way a lot lately. Not going to go all melodramatic here, but today life almost got in the way of my FGF post, so it took a little longer to put it together today even though I knew what I was going to write already on Wednesday. Today it was written while tears were flowing that had absolutely nothing to do with the post at all but was happening here behind the scenes. Hopefully everything will work out and I'll be fine by next week. Just know I truly appreciate all of you and Fridays are not complete without our visits!!!!

    Dollycas
    http://dollycas.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Bible study group sounds like such a blessing to be part of!

    And what a gift the comment from the other lady was to you.

    It is one thing to assume thoughts such as those, but when they are affirmed verbally by another... it just does something for the heart, especially after we've just shared vulnerability from that place.

    So happy for you that God gave you that gift through another!

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.