Pages

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Too Many Books?

I'm a librarian. That said, I take a certain amount of pride in encouraging the use of public libraries. I frequently brag about how few books I buy because I make good use of 2 different public libraries that are easily available. Well I may need to rethink that stance.

Today I started cleaning up after the holidays. You know gathering decorations and gifts to be put away. I found an unusual number of new books floating around my house and the overwhelming majority seemed to be on topics of personal interest to me. Hmmm. . . Admittedly several are gifts from my dh (that's "dear husband" not "designated hitter"), but quite a few appear to have been purchased by moi at odd times and locations. How is it that I always bring books back from trips? That when I order or buy a book as a gift for someone else, something usually gets purchased for me as well? Am I flypaper for books?

Here's a list of the books I found today:

Everyday Blessings a new devotional that I received as a gift from a lady in Bible study

Om at Home: A Yoga Journal I picked this one up in Destin when dh and I went in November

The Whole Five Feet by Christopher Beha "what the great books taught me about life, death, and pretty much everything else". How can I NOT want to read this?!

A String & a Prayer more inspiration for my prayer bead business and classes

Glorious Grits an entire cookbook on grits. Hello!

Little Flowers of Francis of Assisi because I've always wanted to read this

Dragonflies and Damselflies the fairies of the insect world

Favorite Poems Old and New I missed out on poetry early on and recently began reading it again

The Ultimate Fairies Handbook also from the trip to Destin

A History of Irish Fairies ditto

Handmade Home: Simple Ways to Repurpose Old Materials into New Family Treasures by Amanda Blake Soule I read her blog and really love it (http://soulemama.typepad.com/soulemama/ )

Eleven new titles. Maybe it's time to stop bragging. . .

2 comments:

  1. We go to the library all the time too, yet I don't have a room in the house without books or a large bookshelf.

    Sometimes I daydream about giving away all my books and having more space and less dust. Then I shudder.

    I have been drooling over Kindles and Sony readers though... Have you ever considered them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melanie, I don't think you have anything to worry about. I have stacks of books all over!

    Susan, I love my Kindle and I read a lot of books on it. It is great, especially for travel. The only downside (for me) is the inability to share books I've read on there. I find that if I really like something I read on the Kindle, I end up buying the paper copy as well to share with others. (Oh well)

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.