Pages

Friday, March 21, 2014

The Joy of the Lord

Joy -- the emotion evoked by well-being, success, or good fortune or by the prospect of possessing what one desires :  delight

I'm not feeling it this morning. I read that definition and I know that joy has been in short supply in our house of late. There are no great tragedies or difficulties going on in our lives. We are just short on joy lately. 

I wonder how to bring the joy back. I look at that definition and I see "the prospect of possessing what one desires" and I think that's part of the problem. Me wanting to have (hold, control) what I want. 

It's all about me. Things rarely turn out well if my focus is that me-centered

But if I turn it around and remember: the joy of the Lord is your strength (Neh. 8:10) -- suddenly it's not about me anymore.

It's what God desires that will bring me joy. But first I will have to listen.

linking up with Five Minute Friday


1 comment:

  1. Agreed, and well said! Our joy can't rest in our circumstances, but in what the Lord has for us. I love this definition: the prospect of possessing what one desires. If we look deeply at what we possess in Christ rather than our everyday lives, we're now at a place to have the joy we're looking for. Enjoyed this! Linking up behind you @ FMF :)

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.