Pages

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

The Simple Woman's Daybook

FOR TODAY . . . February 17, 2015

Outside my window . . . ice, ice, ice. The predictions had us excited for a significant snowfall (possibly up to 8"), but as usual we got a heavy covering of ice, freezing rain, and sleet with just a dusting of snow on top. The city is pretty well shut down as we wait for warmer temperatures to help melt the ice. 

I am thinking . . . about so many things that I can't get them sorted out in my head.

I am thankful . . . for my warm home and electricity. Many are not so lucky around here right now.

In the kitchen . . . chicken and white beans with biscuits last night. I'm not sure about tonight. Maybe a big pot of chili.

I am creating . . . still working on my afghan (this pattern from Attic 24, and a lovely set of DK yarn from Stylecraft). I lack about 20 rows and this will be completed. It's been lovely working on it as it grows. It keeps me nice and warm as I work.

I am going . . . nowhere in this weather!

I am wondering . . . why having it icy/snowy outside seems to sap my motivation. 

I am reading . . . Almost done with Other Voices, Other Rooms by Truman Capote. 

I've already started my next book, The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

I am looking forward to . . . warmer weather so I can ride my bike around the neighborhood and get acclimated it.

I am hearing . . . my husband and son discussing the weather and our game of Spades last night.

Around the house . . . there is laundry to be done and lots of crafts, but my crafting area is COLD!

I am praying . . . for Lila, a 2 year old with cancer, and for all the homeless people during this VERY cold weather. Our church is offering meals and sleeping accommodations over and above our usual outreach, but I know there are many people still out in the frigid temperatures.

One of my favorite things . . . a really good snow. I though we were going to get one, but again with the ice. It's just not as pretty, and is much more dangerous!

A few plans for the rest of the week . . . try to stay warm. Cook breakfast for Room In the Inn guests. Hopefully get out of the house tomorrow or the next day, but we are predicted to get above freezing until Saturday.

Here are some pictures for thought I am sharing . . .


photos by Alan Pennington (dh)

linking up with The Simple Woman

7 comments:

  1. As much as I hate snow right now... I think I would prefer the snow over the ice you have received!! I am excited for you to finish your afghan!!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not like ice...would rather have snow I think. Oh, my goodness! I did not read Jodi's comment until after I wrote that. I just finished a project and am thinking big project next fall...a lap throw size crocheted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the ice IS beautiful (but it can be so destructive!) I'll have to check out the book by Truman Capote--so far, I've only read In Cold Blood (the majority of which was researched by Harper Lee).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photos are beautiful; but I can't imagine trying to get around in it...or staying in for so many days. Actually, I am OK with being a home-body, for a few days; but at some point want to get out.

    Our weather is rainy, and the temps will be going down; but not nearly as low as others...praying for you and others to stay warm and healthy, and safe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos! I am thankful for my warm house on cold snowy nights too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh ice over snow is a bummer sometimes. That afghan pattern is so pretty. I've looked at it a few time in the last year or so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love the icicle pictures. I hope you warm up soon. Thanks for sharing your day.

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.