Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

Apple Oat Crumble

So I've been sick for the past 2 1/2 weeks. I finally wandered into the kitchen to do more than get a glass of water on Saturday morning, and noticed the apples in the fruit basket were looking a little sad. So I pulled out a favorite cookbook, Rustic Fruit Desserts, and  started looking for a really easy apple crumble. I found one for apple cranberry oat crumble. Of course I didn't have any cranberries, and the recipe called for 8 large apples, and I of course only had 6 small, somewhat sad apples. Not to be deterred, I halved the recipe and omitted the cranberries and half the sugar. Here's my variation. It was a little dry when it came out of the oven so I poured on some more melted butter and smothered the top with cinnamon sugar. I made it around lunch time and it was gone before bed. 'Nuff said.




Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Peel and slice apples and toss with 1 Tablespoon cornstarch and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
Place apples in a lightly greased dish.
In another bowl mix 1 cup oats, 3/4 cup all purpose flour,1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons demerara sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 3 oz. melted unsalted butter. Combine well. Press topping onto apples making sure to get the topping into the corners of your casserole dish. Bake for 45-50 minutes. Set on cooling rack. Melt an additional 1/3 stick unsalted butter and drizzle over topping. Sprinkle on a nice covering of cinnamon sugar. Serve hot with whipped cream or ice cream. Serves 4-6.


linking up with Made by You Monday

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.