Pages

Monday, January 28, 2013

Apple Pie

I made an apple pie Saturday night. Well actually I made two apple pies Saturday night. My intent was one, but when I went to place the filling in the crust it quickly became evident that there would be two.

I used a recipe from The Fannie Farmer Cookbook and of course made a few tweaks. I am, apparently, incapable of simply following a recipe!

6 medium to large Rome apples, peeled, cored, and sliced (I used my apple corer peeler slicer  -- so quick!)
2 deep dish pie crusts
2 regular pie crusts (I know I need to master pie crusts, but I'm still working on that)
3/4 cup demerrara sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/2 Tablespoons flour
4 Tablespoons butter

Preheat oven to 425 degrees (F).
Mix sugar through flour in a small bowl. Place apples in a large bowl and add dry ingredients. Toss to thoroughly coat apples. Place 1/2 apple mixture in each deep dish pie crusts. Dot each pie with 2 T. softened butter. Cover each with a regular pie crusts, and crimp edges.
Place pies in preheated oven for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees (F) and bake for 30-40 minutes or until apples are tender and crusts is golden brown. Serve immediately with your choice of toppings: cheddar cheese wedges, whipped cream, or my favorite, French vanilla ice cream.  Serves 16.



Happy Eating!

linking up with Made by You Mondays



1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious! You're getting me into the mood to make a pie.......thanks for sharing!

    Melissa
    redflycreations(dot)com

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.