Pages

Monday, March 31, 2014

Hurricane Oatmeal Cake . . . Again

{I'm reposting this recipe today at reader request. Enjoy!}

Dh asked me to make a treat for him to take to his grad class on Saturday. I love this cake, but have no self-control when it's in the house. It's best if I make it and send it away. I got one piece, which is plenty (even though I'd love to sit down with the whole cake and a fork!).

FYI, I have no idea how it got this name.




1 cup oatmeal
1 1/4 cups boiling water
2 eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Combine oatmeal and boiling water; set aside. Beat together eggs, sugars and oil until blended. Add flour, soda, salt and cinnamon; add oatmeal mixture. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 inch pan and bake at 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes.

Topping:
Mix together 1 cup coconut, 1 cup brown sugar, 6 tablespoons melted butter, 1/2 cup chopped pecans, and 1/4 cup evaporated milk until moist. Spread over cake; broil until topping is light brown and crunchy -- about 2 minutes.

Serves 20-24.

linking up with Made by You Monday


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.