Pages

Friday, August 15, 2014

:: tell

I've been on both sides.

I've been the one being told, but I've also been the one needing to tell.

I've heard those words -- It's just not worth the pain and I think I'd rather be dead.

I've said those words -- I don't think I can do this anymore. 

Here's what I've learned from both sides -- tell someone, anyone. Telling is at the very least part of the answer, maybe the most important part of the equation.

When I was told, I had that momentary panic of saying the wrong thing. The reality is it's less about what I say and more about how I listen.

When I told I got good listening, but I got some really good words too. The one that resonated with me was "Don't do that to your kids. Don't let that be your legacy." But I also remember humor from another a friend I told -- "If you don't get it right, think of all the guilt you'll have." 

Different words mean different things, and we can't all say the exact right words in every moment. If you're feeling overwhelmed and like it just isn't worth it anymore, tell somebody, anybody, especially one person you trust, and tell Him over and over and over again. He loves you. He gave you this life, and He wants you to live this life. 

If someone honors you by telling you, love them. Love them the way He loves you and them. Love them the way you'd want to be loved. Realize the honor of being that person. The one they could tell.

And while you're at it, tell everyone you care about how you feel about them. You never know.

linking up with Five Minute Friday


2 comments:

  1. Love this! Yes we need to open up and tell others how we feel about them more. I appreciate that reminder today. You've prompted me to do so. Thank you! So glad we're neighbors at FMF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely true! The power is in speaking truth and sharing with others our stories and our struggles. Visiting from FMF. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.