Pages

Monday, December 3, 2012

Cranberry Apple Skillet Pie


A few weeks ago, I saw this post and was immediately intrigued by the recipe. For one thing, I love any excuse to bake/cook with cranberries. Secondly, apples and cranberries are second only to oranges and cranberries in favorite flavor combinations. And finally, it's all made in an iron skillet, which is just about as happy as it gets. That being said, I made a few variations in the recipe and served it last week to rave reviews. Whether you slice it like a pie, or serve it like a cobbler, it tastes fabulous, and is just a lovely winter dessert.

I have a well-seasoned iron skillet that I use for a variety of purposes, so I would encourage you to use the same. If you are new to ironware cooking check out this site for seasoning directions.

6 cored, peeled and chopped apples (I used galas)
12 oz. bag of fresh cranberries
2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
3/4 brown sugar (next time I'm going to try demerara sugar)
1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 Tablespoon of lemon juice (you could probably omit this given the tart flavor of fresh cranberries)
2 pie crusts (I used Publix Ready to Use crusts)
2 Tablespoons of unsalted butter

Preheat oven to 350*.
Mix apples and cranberries with flour until all the fruit is covered. Stir in sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla until well mixed. Line skillet with one pie crust. Pour in fruit mixture, and dot with cold butter. Cover with remaining pie crusts, crimping or sealing edges to bottom crust.
Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until crust is a nice golden brown. Serve with vanilla ice cream.

Enjoy!

linking up with Made by You Monday

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.