Pages

Friday, December 14, 2012

Friday Musings

It's Friday morning which is typically a link up with Red Writing Hood. The prompt just didn't speak to me. Jackson Pollock, gallery, security guards. I know the first thing that popped into my head was a Pollock painting that was used for the Olympics back in the '70s, but when I Googled it I realized I must have the wrong painter in mind, so that threw me off completely.

Christmas traditions. That's a fun topic. I don't have the close relationship with my family of origin that I would like. In my immediate family, we've never really established many Christmas traditions. Maybe because traditions felt more like rules to be followed. If I have to force someone to do something how is that a good, fun thing?

This year the tree was decorated in stages. Alan put it up and got the lights on it. My bestie and I put all the decorations on it, except for the pickle. The pickle? Don't you hang a pickle on your tree? My husband is of Austrian descent. When we were first married someone brought a pickle ornament to a swap party, claiming that it was an old German tradition. We were intrigued and took the pickle home. As we had children and they grew, it became a tradition to hide the pickle all over the living room as we were decorating the tree. 
When my bestie and I decorated, we hung the pickle on the tree, but Alan took it down. It's been laying on the dining room table waiting for Alan and Sam to have a chance to play hide the pickle. 

That's it. That's our Christmas tradition. It's not much, but it's almost all we've got. Except for listening the David Sedaris' Six to Eight Black Men, and nearly peeing in our pants.

What are your traditions?

Happy Holidays!

4 comments:

  1. I like the pickle! We don't do it but I've heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a pickle on our tree! It is an old German tradition! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We played hide the pickle last night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wondered about the pickle tradition; I've heard of it but never really known where it came from.

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.