Pages

Monday, November 11, 2013

DIY Chili Seasoning

Anybody who reads my blog regularly knows I'm a bit of a schizophrenic food snob. On the whole I avoid mixes for 2 reasons. Number 1, in this day and age you just have no idea what all they've added to the mix that you don't even need, and number 2, I don't really think mixes save that much time, and they usually cost more. So I guess that's really 3 reason, but anyway.



So here's my quick chili seasoning "mix". It'll keep well if you keep it in a jar with your other spices, although I do recommend a glass container for storage (I'm not wild about plastics either -- call me paranoid!)

And yes, I buy organic spices.

1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2 Tbs. chili powder
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. salt

This batch will make enough seasoning for 2 pounds of meat or eight servings. So to make enough for 8 pots of chili --

4 tsp. garlic powder
16 Tbs. chili powder (or 1 cup)
4 tsp. oregano
4 tsp. salt

Use 2 Tbs. + 1 1/2 tsp. mix for for 2 lbs. of meat.

Quick and easy, and you've probably already got it all in your spice cabinet. No additives, like MSG or soy lecithin, and no buying special packages. 

linking up with Made by You Mondays


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.