Pages

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

RemembRED -- My Quiet Place

The rocking chair in the corner of my office. My father-in-law gave it to me years ago for nursing my babies. Now it sits in my office with a cushion on the seat and a crocheted wrap on the back. My kids come and sit in it when they want to talk or just be with me. My husband sat there last night while going over a presentation for a client. 


For me when the house is empty, and the chores are caught up, it is the best place in the world for reading or thinking or crocheting. There’s a good light behind the chair and my sliding glass doors look out onto the front garden. Birds and squirrels and the occasional fox wander by. I can prop my feet up on the ottoman I keep close by, and my sweet Yaya doggie jumps up to sit with me.

It’s a chair replete with memories and good associations of family and love. What better place to settle in for quiet.



link up at RemembeRED

5 comments:

  1. So special. And even better that it was kept in the family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how your kids will sit there when they just want to hang out with you. Sounds like a lovely spot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you talked about the different ways the chair has been used, and how it is your special place when you're alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore that an object, became the space. Our rocking chair was much the same way. So many memories wrapped up into one teeny tiny space!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was such a lovely post. So many memories wrapped in wood and fabric.

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.