Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

Wild Weekend Followed by a Busy Week

It had not been my intention to take a week off from blogging.


It had been my intention to blog each day from my "remote" location.


I took my computer. I had good intentions, but you know what they say about those.


So for the next few days, we'll be having flashback (in a good way) M&M.


First, the follow-up to Feel Good Friday -- March 11, 1011.


The seminar we went to was a marriage seminar. 


I know, how did I think that might be fun!?!


Actually, dh and I are getting ready to jump into the marriage ministry program at our church. The leaders sent us to this seminar to see if it's something we'd like to do at our congregation.


Over the years, dh and I have read a lot of material on marriage; we've been to a lot of marriage seminars; we've taken a lot of marriage classes; we've read the book that was used in this seminar, and it nearly did me in! So to say that I was hesitant would be putting it mildly.


Friday morning we headed off bright and early. We arrived at the location, only to find out it was the wrong location. I had the address and directions that the powers that be had provided. I assumed they were correct. You know what they say about assumptions? Right! Do you know how badly dh hates to be late? Do you know how much I didn't want this to be my fault? Do you know how much I didn't want to start this weekend off with a fight? 


So we finally arrived at the correct location about 45 minutes late. The good news? We missed the sales pitch! We got there just in time for the first break and got to meet a few people, and essentially start our day with actual program material.


We had done the recommended homework. I had tried to read the material with an open mind. We had reservations. The sessions began and for the rest of Friday, Saturday and Sunday we had a good time. Good information, nice people, skilled facilitators, and the chance to eat out and talk. Not too bad.


The sessions were stressful at times. Emotions ran high among all of the participants. Keep in mind this was a group of people learning to lead marriage seminars, so they are all dedicated to improving their own and others marriages, and they have all done a great deal of work on their marriages already. You might say this was the "cream of the crop" for marriage seminars.


It was a good experience for dh and me, but it was an eye-opening experience for me personally. With my history I make a lot of assumptions about people's perceptions of me. All weekend I felt like Sally Field -- "You like me!" These people were so open and honest that it made it easier for me to be open and honest. They were compassionate and receptive to the parts of my story I chose to share. I left feeling tired, but lifted up.


The only real downside to the weekend was that I left right after the seminar (literally from the seminar location) with dd for a week at Tennessee Fitness Spa, so dh and I had no time to decompress! 


For information on the seminar go to Family Dynamics Institute

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.