Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

RemembeRED -- Internet

Stay at home mom. Bored out of my mind at times. Other times frantic beyond reason. Probably a bit of postpartum depression thrown in for good measure. The baby is napping. It's a dial up connection so I can't stay online too long or my husband won't be able to get in touch with me. It is slow as Christmas! Even then I could see that, but what amazing information was waiting for me if only the buzzing and whirring would complete the magical transformation of my computer from a big solitaire game to a connection to the whole world -- out there! What would I find? Newspaper and magazine articles to read. Shopping opportunities (even though there is no money for real shopping). Games to play. Ooooh, games to play. What a wonderful, glorious, guilt inducing way to waste my precious time while the baby napped!

I could argue that I was improving myself; looking for ways to be a better wife and mother, but the truth was I was wasting time. It felt a little wicked, but it was lovely to do NOTHING for a while.

My how things have changed! I still do a lot of nothing on my computer, but I interact with so many people all over the world. In the long run the internet has been more savior than demon in my life.

for more posts got to RemembeRED

5 comments:

  1. Yes, this. Joyful time wasting and anxious waiting. I can so, so relate to this!

    I love transparent, and you wore it well here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh was dial up not the worst? And yet I loved the sound of that machine trying to connect. It was thrilling to know it was linking me to a world beyond myself.

    Nice post in response to the prompt. I can definitely relate to the time wasted part; and I too have found that connecting with others has really made a difference in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's remarkable how alike our reactions to the internet are, time wasting, connection, entertainment, trying for balance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL. I really love this. Like Kaleba above, I LOVED the sound of the modem connecting. It's funny how although so much has changed, so much remains the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We lived with dial-up until we moved to our new house in 2007. A long time to be on pokey internet connection. It was good, in a way...b/c I didn't waste a lot of time there! Anything I really needed to do, I'd try to search & find quickly at work (because I was always there early).

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.