Pages

Friday, January 31, 2014

Hero

a person who is admired for great or brave acts or fine qualities



Everybody needs a hero. Sometimes it's that person who rescues you from the school bully or the mean neighborhood dog.

But sometimes we have to be our own heroes. There's not always a knight in shining armor to rescue the damsel in distress. The damsel has to rescue herself.

Years ago my first therapist told me I'd have to save myself from my past. Other people could be my cheerleaders and support staff, but the real work would be all mine.

I didn't like that one bit.

Over time I've come to realize the truth in his words and the value of becoming my own hero. For an abuse survivor it's all about taking back the control that was stolen from me. 

If I'd turned over my recovery to some hero or rescuer I would never have learned how strong I am now or how I strong I was then. Just living through the abuse and moving forward was a success, I just didn't know it at the time.

So here's to heroes. The individuals in the trenches who forget how heroic we really are.

Blessings.

linking up with Five Minute Friday


2 comments:

  1. We are so brave and fragile at the same time. I beat myself up for years. I came from an environment where nothing was ever good enough. I hated listening to a parent complain. It would just hit a nerve in me. So at 63 I am finally getting it. People who complain are ungrateful. Find the joy in the day and live this life that God has blessed us with. Nothing is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never considered this from your perspective before. Thank you for opening my eyes...

    your 5mf neighbor this week

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.