Pages

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Surviving Them


It happened out of the blue, which is how it normally happens. I was going along, doing well, handling daily stresses. And then BOOM! It took me out.

I saw those words. Her name. I read it over and over again thinking I must be getting it wrong. I lost the ability to move or speak. I began berating myself. 

What is the appropriate response to seeing an abuser commenting on a post I am tagged in on Facebook? I didn't get the email explaining etiquette or protocol for this particular situation.

She is apparently friends with a couple of people I follow on Facebook. I hadn't seen anything by her previously. Sure I've stalked a bit to find out if any of them are on Facebook, but I never found any. I have my page locked down pretty tightly. So I thought I was safe.

Last Sunday she invaded my private cyber world of peace and joy. She robbed me of a few minutes of joy following a good walk and talk with my husband. Just seeing her name and then her face brought back all the panic and terror from years ago.

I told my husband. I journaled about it. I cried a little. I stressed about how to handle it. And I went back to believing I was the liar -- but only for a few minutes. I shifted into "wwmcs" mode (what would my counselor say). She would say -- "look at the visceral reaction you are having to just seeing her name. The physical expressions of the terror. You can't make that happen. This is a classic PTSD reaction to a trigger."

So I thought about what to do. I could climb in bed and pull the covers over my head for the rest of the day, or I could choose to acknowledge how upsetting this was, but not give her the power to take away my joy. I remembered a craft project I had been wanting to take care of, so I went and made it. A rosary I've been meaning to make for months. To send to a friend -- just because. As I picked out beads and a cross, and tested combinations of beads, I came back to myself. To the truth. This is who I am. I am a survivor. I am the one who picks herself up over and over again, even when they keep trying to knock me down.

And yes, on Monday, I sat in my counselor's office and I cried like a baby from fear and pain and loneliness. I cried for it happening all over again. I cried for not having people in my life that I want. I berated myself. But I got it out and found that I was still here. And I came home and blocked her name on Facebook and adjusted my privacy settings. 

I'm still here. Surviving.

Blessings!

4 comments:

  1. That would be very hard and you handled it great! I am sorry that your space was invaded and that you had to relive it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, Melanie. Thanks for sharing how you processed this difficult situation. In the end, you honored what you felt (terror and all), let it go by acknowledging it (and that it 'could' come again in ways you least expect - but less and less so) and by letting the visceral experience pass, and then you acknowledged and exercised your current power by blocking the person - even with the touch of a few buttons. Your post really corroborates the power of trauma and the slight distance between what 'was' and what 'is' - and our power to make that distance greater. I'll bet it took a lot of courage, strength and time to get to the place you are today. You took care of yourself very well! Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Joy and Peace be with you and yours for 2014! You are strong and courageous, and nobody can take that away from you! You are worthy of LOVE, PEACE, HARMONY! I'm sending you my very best so that you can draw on your inner peace when doubt tries to creep in and rob you of your true self! ALOHA

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.