Pages

Monday, May 16, 2011

Monday Musings

Blogger was down last Friday, so no FGF post. Saturday was dh's work picnic -- in the rain with temps in the low 60's. Saturday night dd and I went to see Young Frankenstein: The Musical. I must be getting old. Can they sing about stuff like that on stage? Sunday was worship with dh reading the Lord's Prayer in German. The boys went climbing after church. Dd and I had lunch at Panera and did the grocery shopping. A busy weekend that unfortunately degenerated into an unpleasant discussion of grades and study skills with ds.


Sometimes I just hate being a mom. There I said it. I love my kids and wouldn't trade them for the world, but I hate not knowing the best things to do for them and say to them. Ds is unhappy with the parameters we've set up to help him improve his grades and work ethic. I'm not happy when anyone in my house is unhappy. I know. That's not a very adult approach to life. I'm simplistic at heart. I just want everyone to be happy! lol! I have this theory that if everyone is happy, nothing bad can happen. Gee, I wonder where that came from?


So today I'm reminding myself that grades aren't everything. That ds is 17 which is a tough age to be. And I'm enjoying the reminders and comments I got from friends on Facebook last night when I posted my concerns. I especially liked this one from a long ago friend that I haven't seen in years (though I'd love to!) --  Dear, sweet Melanie, as a parent I know you think you should take the blame for the bad and give the credit for the good back to your children. But when they rob a bank and go on a multi-state high speed chase... well, you just gotta let it go and make them take the fall.


Thanks, Craig. That certainly put things in perspective for me!


Happy Monday : )

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.