Pages

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

How It All Began

My dh and I went into marriage therapy, for the second time, in September 2000. We went because dh wanted to know why I wasn't happy or interested in intimacy. I went along because I wanted him to stop nagging me. We met with a family psychologist who had been recommended by a friend, we'll call him Paul. Paul was a good Christian with an open enthusiastic style. We met with him a few times, talking about various aspects of our relationship. Dh and I are pretty forthright and open, so we didn't hold much back. I just didn't know why we were there! Things weren't perfect, but who has a perfect life? Dh annoyed me a fair amount, and I apparently annoyed him just as much, if not more. 


We talked about communication issues, our origins, child issues -- all the usual stuff. We also told Paul about the previous time we'd been in marriage therapy. The focus of that had been addressing the effects of an assault I had suffered in college. A family member molested me in the middle of the night. I had never told anyone in the family except for dh. At the time it happened, we had only been dating a few months. My parents were out of town, and since I was afraid to stay at home alone, I had gone to this couple's house to spend the night. 


As we recounted this story to Paul, I remember thinking, this was old news. We had dealt with this. It didn't need to be addressed any further. Admittedly, when we had talked through it years before the outcome had not really been satisfactory for me. We told my parents what had happened, and rather than jump to my defense, my mother said, "Oh poor L (the wife)" and my father said, "You were right to not tell us. Boys will be boys." I was stunned, but felt that they must be right (they were my parents after all). 


That first time in therapy, I confronted the molester. He apologized, but stated that he didn't understand why it was such a problem for me. I made him tell his wife, who later told me I should have told her when it happened. She might have left him then, but couldn't now because there were too many years and child invested in the marriage now. 


As I began to recount all of this to Paul, it occurred to me that the whole situation still really bothered me. It still made me sick at my stomach to think about it, and there were huge portions of the event that I either couldn't remember or explain. Paul suggested that I might want to talk with him without dh present. Uh-oh! It was all my fault -- whatever "it" was.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Melanie!!

    Thanks for stopping by the Over 40 Bloggers!!

    If you would like to be added to the list then please add the Over 40 button to your side bar! Its the one with the pink shirt!

    Let me know once you add it so I can put you on the list! We'd love to have you!

    Java

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Melanie. I'm so sorry for all of your pain. I've been reading through some of your posts today, and my heart aches for you. I work with so many students who have walked your walk. One sweet young girl recently tried to take her life because she just couldn't deal with seeing her rapist every time she goes home and his manipulative attitude--as if it's just casual sex and she should be enjoying it. Have you read Mary DeMuth's book "Not Marked"? I read it so that I could help my students in some small way.

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.