Pages

Friday, September 17, 2010

Feel Good Friday: A Follow Up to The Girl's Week

I've been blessed by reading Erika's blog this week about overcoming panic attacks.  I too have suffered from panic attacks for many years. Most of you know I was diagnosed almost 10 years ago with chronic post traumatic stress disorder. The condition is the result of the childhood sexual abuse I suffered. Through many years of therapy, medication, a super-supportive husband, and a network of wonderful friends, I am finally finding myself more and more able to talk about the abuse, the panic attacks and the PTSD. 


I want to publicly commend Erika for taking a week of blogs to honestly share about panic attacks. The more we are willing to talk about the hard things that we all deal with, the easier it becomes to deal with them, and the more people are helped and educated. So here's a big kudos to Erika!


Here's my little help list for handling a panic attack. Feel free to pass it on!


1. Remember to breathe! In through your nose to the count of four; out through your nose to the count of four. Practice it when you're not in a panic attack, so it will be second nature when the attack hits.


2. Remember you are not alone! Thousands of people suffer from some of form of anxiety disorder. You're not weird. 


3. Remember this too shall pass! Even though a panic attack can feel as if it will never end, they do end, and life returns to normal (whatever that is!).


4. Create a ritual for handling a panic attack. At the peak of mine, I found that getting off by myself to breathe was imperative. I also found that having something concrete to hold helped keep me centered and present. I carry a prayer strand in my purse at all times. When I feel my stress level escalating, I pull it out and run it through my fingers (Lucy's Beads and Prayers).


5. Finally, find someone to share your struggles with. My husband has always been good at this, but I have a couple of friends as well who seem able to take it all in stride. It helps to have someone who understands to talk with.


So that's my Feel Good Friday with extra thanks to Erika!


See more at The Girl Next Door Grows Up.



3 comments:

  1. So true, I was helped by Erika's post and now yours, this virtual world of friendship is amazing, we may never meet face to face, but we are here to help, encourage and share with each other. I have so glad for this internet thing most people thought would never catch on. :)

    Dollycas
    http://dollycas.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melanie that was so sweet and touching. Thank you. SO much.

    Have a wonderful weekend... it's another date night again, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A supportive husband is a great blessing indeed. Good for you, handling your life so well. Bless us all.

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.