Pages

Monday, August 22, 2011

Tethering

Post traumatic stress leaves it's victims untethered. That's my opinion at this point. 


When I was a pre-teen and teenager I wondered why everyone around me seemed to be so grounded. They seemed so sure of their place in the world -- of who they were -- who they wanted to be -- and how to become that person. I was always untethered -- ungrounded -- disconnected -- uninformed. What I know now is that's one of the fundamental effects of childhood abuse. I lost my bearings. I was searching for connections, but terrified of them at the same time. When basic trust is broken, a child's world view shifts forever. Trust is our connection to others. Once it is broken, we are disconnected. It's not just a feeling; it's a reality. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.