Pages

Friday, November 2, 2012

Five Minute Friday: Roots

“Good parents give their children roots and wings.  Roots to know where their home is, and wings to fly and put into practice what they have taught them.”  

Roots

I hope I have given my children roots and wings.

I have tried.

I think I've done a good job on the wings part. Letting them know that their choices are their own, and that I respect them.

Roots have been more difficult.

I felt stagnated by my roots.

Strangled, believing I had to keep following the same line. Keep living up to who my parents were.

It's taken years to "cut the apron" strings psychologically with my parents. But I think I've made some good progress in the past few weeks and months. 

I don't want my children to struggle in the same ways I have, but I have also come to accept that struggle is necessary for growth. I can tell them over and over again that I love them no matter what, but the proof is in the pudding. I hope so far the proof has been stronger than the words.

Roots are good. They help us stand when storms come through. They give us a sense of security. But without the accompanying wings, we're only half way there.


linking up to Five Minute Friday

3 comments:

  1. "But without the accompanying wings, we're only half way there>" Love it!

    Blessings! Stopping by from Five Minute Friday

    ReplyDelete
  2. amen! wonderful thoughts.

    visiting from five minute friday. http://www.ordinaryinspirations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.