Pages

Monday, December 9, 2013

Easy Winter Dinner

I recognize I am the queen of "don't use prepared food", but there are times when it comes in handy. I've become a big proponent of Trader Joe's after the past several months. You still have to check ingredients, but my experience has been that they use fewer chemicals and additives, and their meats are usually organic or at least grain fed and antibiotic free. They offer a cabernet pot roast that, while a bit pricey, is wonderful because it cooks up quickly and is pre-marinated. I'm also a fan of their polenta.

We've been hit with the icy, cold weather that has been traipsing across the nation, so last night I wanted a warm, filling dinner and was pleased with what I came up with from the pantry and freezer.

I roasted the cabernet roast at 350 for 1 1/2 hours uncovered. I didn't do any of the pre-browning, just threw that sucker in my small roasting pan that I'd sprayed with organic Pam. When it was done I let it sit before slicing it for 15 minutes while prepping the rest of dinner.

One large can of Allen's Italian green beans cooked with a little bacon fat, salt, and coarse ground black pepper.

I sliced the polenta into slices a little less than 1/2 inch, and laid them in a pyrex dish that had been drizzled with olive oil. Then I drizzled on more olive oil and a nice dusting of garlic salt. Then I spread on fresh basil leaves and quartered Campari tomatoes, a little more olive oil, and roasted it at 400 for 15-20 minutes.

While the polenta and beans finished cooking, I sliced the roast and then served buffet style to rave reviews!


(this is the only photo I got. Dh's leftovers for lunch today!)


linking up with Made by You Monday


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.