Pages

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Thankful Thursday -- September 23, 2010


It's Thankful Thursday again. This verse came in my email this week, and I saw something I'd never noticed before. 

Philippians 2:3-4
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not 
only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.

It's the second part that caught my eye this time -- "look not only to your own interests" (italics mine). This is the first time I noticed that it's okay to look to my own interests. It's not either/or, it's in addition to. That's very comforting to me. Permission to include my interests in my plans -- not exclusively, but rather inclusively. 

Off my soap box now! LOL! Anyway here's my list:

1. I am thankful for good friends and lasting friendships that can be picked up again even after long absences.

2. I am thankful for creativity and patience. I am truly just beginning to realize that the process is at least as important as the outcome.

3. I am thankful for God's enduring patience with me. I ask again and again. I worry again and again. He is always kind, sympathetic, and compassionate. And He answers again and again and again.

4. I am thankful for perseverance. It's hard for me to give myself credit for much, but lately I'm realizing that I have persevered in my recovery. There have been many times it would have been easier to just walk away -- to accept the status quo as good enough -- and I didn't do it. 

5. I am thankful for the opportunity to have my dear daughter home for a visit this weekend (even if I'm a little scared about how it will go). 

That's my list. I hope you have wonderful Thankful Thursday!

5 comments:

  1. When does your daughter come and go? I'll try to be praying during that time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This afternoon. Home until Monday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What post. I've always said, "if you don't know how to love yourself well, how can you love others well?" So glad you noticed that part...cause you are so worth being taken care of!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your post and especially #3--my kids and I are reading through the Old Testament, and I'm particularly reminded of God's steadfast love and patience with the Israelites...and with me!

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.