Pages

Monday, October 20, 2014

Fear 2.0



I'm traveling today, but here is a repost on Fear (today's word) from 2013.


What's my biggest fear . . . 

This reminds of a post I wrote nearly a year and a half ago. 

What's my biggest fear? It's a ludicrous question to ask a survivor of abuse. I've got a list a mile long. The list shifts and fluctuates, but the one constant is this -- the fear of not being believed. 

It's a deeply rooted fear. Planted by abusers, and tended by those who didn't provide an environment of safety to risk telling. Then reinforced by those, who when told, didn't believe, even offering explanations of why I would make up these atrocities. Explanations that cast aspersions on my character, proving the lies the abusers told me are true.

According to Wikipedia, Fear is an emotion induced by a perceived threat which causes entities to quickly pull away from it and usually hide. It is a basic survival mechanism occurring in response to a specific stimulus, such as pain or the threat of danger. 

It takes a lot of people believing my story to counter the few who don't. 

Maybe that's why I keep telling it.

linking up with 31 Days of Writing and Five Minute Free Writes





6 comments:

  1. Oh, wow! I'm so sorry your story was EVER NOT BELIEVED! May God continue to heal you and to use his perfect love to cast out all of your fears :). Hugs, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry so few believed you. You keep going. Karma has a way of coming quicker for some

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only imagine the pain that's felt from other's disbelief and from not being heard. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your story! It IS unfortunate that when something like what you went through is finally revealed - that it is not believed. So sorry for what you went through; and you are so courageous to be sharing it now...praying for you and that what you share is helpful to others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wrote on fear today too, but my story was from one experience that I won't have to deal with again. Praying for you as you fight this battle

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a powerful post. Hope it was cathartic for you.

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.