Pages

Monday, November 8, 2010

Update on Fall Into Reading 2010


Well I thought it might be time for an update on my reading program. So far I've completed two of my six books, plus one unplanned read.


1. The English American by Alison Larkin. This was an interesting read, based on the author's on experience as an American baby adopted by British parents. It wasn't the usual predictable feel good story, but rather a more realistic picture of the issues that adopted individuals deal with. Plus the characters were likable and intriguing.

2. Caught Stealing by Charlie Huston. This one was a bit of a stretch for me. One friend highly recommended this series. When I posted that I was planning to read this, another friend warned that I might want to reconsider this. The book is laced with extreme violence and foul language. Now I'm a big girl. I read The Millennium Trilogy. I got through the whole thing relatively unscathed, with Caught Stealing the violence felt gratuitous and unnecessary (in the volume included, anyway). Hank, the main character, is an interesting addition to fiction heroes, but I don't think he's worth two more books laced with detailed violence.



3. The Myth of You and Me by Leah Stewart. This one was unplanned. When I completed #2, I started The Feast: How to Serve Jesus in a Famished World by Joshua Graves. It is excellent and I'm still working on it. It is not good bedtime reading, however, because it makes me think too much! I pulled Stewart's book off my shelf just to have something to read at night. I was quickly pulled into a fascinating story about female relationships and the impact that they have on our lives. I highly recommend this one.


So that's where I am so far. I'm still reading The Feast and need to pick up the new Dexter book, but oh yeah, I started another novel I already had here at home, Stalin's Ghost by Martin Cruz Smith. I'll let you know how this next batch goes. Until then, Happy Reading!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.