Pages

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

RemembRED -- Comprehending Chaos


Comprehending Chaos is the story of my battle to overcome the far reaching effects of childhood sexual abuse. Beginning at 4 years old, I was physically, emotionally, and sexually abused by a variety of family members and friends including an elderly aunt, a female cousin, and one of my father’s college students. Although I grew up in the Bible belt, the daughter of a minister/professor, it was not until I reached middle age that I began to tell of the abuse I had suffered. I recount the retrieval of memories and the agonizing experience of flashbacks and anxiety attacks with authenticity and brutal honesty. I share the struggle to come to grips with my family’s inability to grasp reality or show compassion for my experiences, and the choices I was faced to make to finally move to a place of true healing. This is not just the story of abuse, but the story of one woman’s move from victim to survivor to compassionate witness.

The Prompt:RemembRED – Pitch Us

Memoir can be intimidating for writers. You’re relating actual events, portraying real people, and there are years of material to sift through.

Those years of material can seem overwhelming when looked at as a whole, or they might seem underwhelming.

Have you had a rollercoaster ride, filled with ups and downs that may have left other people screaming in their seats? Perhaps your life has been more of a merry-go-round, the same scenes arising again and again, the shifts less noticeable.

Either way, you have a story to tell, and the way you tell it is what makes it compelling. Distilling your memoir into a 200 word pitch will give you the chance to really focus on what you want to share with your readers about your life story.

This week pretend we have a book contract here just waiting for someone to sign (and we wish we did, believe me!) Pitch your memoir in 200 words or less and come back this Tuesday to link up. 

link up at Write on Edge

8 comments:

  1. Wow. Sounds like it would be hard book to read. But it also sounds like your story needs to be put out there so that others that may be in a similar situation can draw strength from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you faced these struggles, but what a rich and important story it gives you to share with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. What an impassioned pitch. I can't think of a single way to get across both your topic and more importantly, your style. I love the no-nonsense approach you took in writing your pitch and would want to read a memoir written in a similar style.

    Point of fact, I hope you are writing this book and will someday use this pitch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great pitch for a powerful story. I'm sorry you had to suffer through it, but I'm glad you came out on top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your last line? That's the selling point right there. The story of abuse will be difficult to read and for some people to relate to, but seeing what you've done with your life? That's your hook. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect! Who wouldn't want to hear about a person who doesn't just lie down and die when horrible things happen, but who fights, kicking and screaming, to get to a better place and become a "compassionate witness"?

    Truly this would be an epic story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so proud of you, giving voice to the little girl who couldn't and also giving voice to others who have experienced such pain. Your words will heal so many.

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.