Pages

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Thankful Thursday #8


I found this information on YouVersion.com and I wanted to share. I grew up in a religious tradition that shunned religious holidays. I didn't understand the meaning of Ash Wednesday until just a few years ago when a friend explained after I had shared my ignorance. Over the past few years, I have begun to incorporate aspects of the Lenten season into my own traditions. I have found it to be a time for renewal and self awareness, and I find comfort in the worldwide community of believers who participate at the same time.
I liked the ideas expressed in this piece (although is was essentially an ad for this particular application, but it's a good one).

"Lent draws us closer to God through purposeful prayer, self-denial, repentance, giving, and time in the Bible:
Prayer. We thank God for reaching out to transform us, and we ask for direction and insight. Consider asking God to help you see people the way He sees them.
Self-denial. Fasting means food, but we may also give up certain activities we enjoy. What things do you think about most? Food? Coffee? Sweets? Social media? Television and entertainment? Commit to go without at least one between now and Easter.
Repentance. When our thoughts drift to ourselves, that’s our cue to connect with God, asking Him to show us our weaknesses and sins. We ask Him to forgive us and change our hearts.
Giving. We freely offer whatever we have to those in need. It could be money contributed to worthy charities, our time, our talents. Volunteer at a soup kitchen or shelter. Visit the elderly. Write letters of prayer and encouragement to orphans. Give intentionally to people who can’t repay you.
Scripture Reading. YouVersion has 5 Reading Plans specifically designed to help you center your life on God and His Word during this special time of reflection and purpose."

Right now I find myself grateful for the season; for the opportunity to re-examine my own life; to strive to grow closer to God; and to seek opportunities to serve others.
I hope you do too.

link up at Grace Alone

3 comments:

  1. I just had a conversation with a child who was displaying knee jerk disdain, that she had picked up in our tradition, for ash Wednesday. Gotta love how cut and dried 12 yo's can be, grrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in a family that considered Lent pretty important... I love these explanations. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.