Pages

Saturday, October 7, 2017

Books!

Write 31 Days Day #7

I love books. This should come as no surprise to anyone who knows me. My father was a literature professor. I minored in English in college and went on to get a master's degree in library science. I worked as a librarian until my first child was born. 

I love to read. Again no surprise. I also collect books. I used to pride myself as a public library reference librarian on my self-control in buying books. Not so much anymore. After I quit working in that environment it became more difficult to have a constant supply of books to read. I became a slave to Amazon (as my Amazon Prime credit card shows!). 

An unforeseen problem showed up as well. I began to enjoy non-fiction almost as much as I had previously enjoyed fiction. And I like to underline things. Libraries frown on that. I read from my Kindle quite a bit and really enjoy highlighting passages, and I LOVE that Goodreads saves them for me. I'm also keeping a journal of quotes and passages I want to return to, but it's so much easier, in the moment, to just underline it!

One of the perks of my recent plot twist has been more time to read. I set a goal for myself to read 52 books this year. I'm doing pretty well at 33 completed. I'm in the middle of 4 others right now -- which should tell you something in and of itself!

I'm currently reading:

Sacred Space 2017 a daily devotional/prayer book by the Irish Jesuits

Never Unfriended by Lisa-Jo Baker. I read a few pages each morning along with my other devotional reading.


The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen, a Southern writer whose books bring magical realism and southern charm together.


Hyperbole and a HalfUnfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened by Allie Brosh. My daughter loaned me this one yesterday. It is hilarious so far. Possibly not good pre-bed reading as I couldn't quit laughing (language/coarse humor alert)

So what are you reading this weekend?

Blessings!





3 comments:

  1. I really like Never Unfriended. I think it was the only book I read this year. I need to read more, but I'm going to wait until my boys are bigger. Thanks for sharing your love of reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love getting people's book suggestions and almost always get my next read from someone's suggestion. Unfriended sounds goods.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my friend! You need to discover NetGalley! You get books before they are published in exchange for a short review on their website! You can choose what you read. I am reading way too many books right now, and am a little behind on my reviews and writing my 31 days series, so I'm only listening to an Audible book as I exercise--It's called 1861, and it's very good so far!

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.