Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

The Alteration of a Life


The question is: Is it coming or going? Is it good or bad? 

My first thought was a terrible crash. Pain and suffering. Those killed or wounded. Those left behind to pick up the pieces. The permanent alteration of a life. A life changed in an instant. We say things like that in the aftermath of disaster, whether public or personal. "She will never be the same." 

But what if we turn it around and think about the good and amazing and mesmerizing. Joy and exhilaration. Those stunned and awed by what they have just seen or experienced. Those given the opportunity to share the miracle they have witnessed. The permanent alteration of a life. A life changed in an instant. Why don't we say things like that in the aftermath of amazing moments? "She will never be the same."

I have been altered by all the events of my life, I just don't recognize the good alterations as often as I recognize the evil ones. Physical abuse at age 4 -- sexual abuse at age 5 -- verbal abuse as a teenager -- a rape in college -- another rape after I was married and a mother. Awful life altering events.

But what about the good alterations. Writing a play for my 3rd grade class to perform. Being asked to sing publicly for the first time at 14. Playing leading roles in high school plays. College theater and opera. Meeting my husband. Having friends who have been with me a lifetime. Giving birth to 2 healthy children and watching them grow to adulthood. Opportunities to serve others, and write, and talk, and share. Amazing life altering events.

So what do you see? Good or bad?

see more and link up at Write on Edge A Surprise Prompt

8 comments:

  1. I like your take on the prompt. What do you see---and the answer to that question for you probably sheds a great deal of light on why you are a such a survivor. Thanks for sharing this, I found it very insightful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting. To be so self aware that you recognized your initial negative response and re-thought it to a positive one shows me someone who is one step ahead of most of us.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome...as always! We give more weight to the bad than the good, and then wonder why we are aren't happy. I am definitely guilty of that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you seen this one?
    http://musingsandmeanderings-mlp.blogspot.com/2012/01/this-moment_13.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this.
    I like that you really can see this image as either good or bad, coming or going.
    I like that you recognize that we can choose how we see it, as well.
    Nice job.
    Came from the linky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that this gave you moment of free writing from your heart. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was thinking of exactly this kind of thing - that the moments that mark us most seem to be the negative ones, especially when considering the world as a whole. Sad testament.

    ReplyDelete

Please sign up as a follower to see comment replies.